What is the MYP Community Project?
The 8th Grade Community Project is a major activity for students to complete in year three of the MVP Program at Goshen International Middle School.
The community project focuses on community and service and gives students an opportunity to develop an awareness of various needs around our school, the community, the country, and the world.
The community project engages students in a sustained, in-depth inquiry-based project that leads to service as an action to fulfill a need in the community.
The community project is completed individually, with a partner, or in groups of three. The topic of the project is made in consultation with an MVP teacher who has the responsibility of supervising the development of the project according to the MVP assessment criteria (included in the guide).
The aims of MVP Projects are to encourage and enable students to:
- Participate in a sustained, self-directed inquiry within a global context.
- Generate creative new insights and develop deeper understandings through in-depth investigation.
- Demonstrate the skills, attitudes, and knowledge required to complete a project over an extended period of time.
- Communicate effectively in a variety of situations.
- Demonstrate responsible action through, or as a result of, learning.
- Appreciate the process of learning and take pride in their accomplishments.